Re: Let's Talk Combat

Personally, I like the real time combat. However, Dark has a point about being able to determine if you can win a fight or not based on your gear and abilities. Still though, I do not like that most often these games allow you to use the same attacks repeatedly. Games like AHC and Manimon and pretty much any other game, the concept is figure out what the best attack is, and spam it until the target is dead. What's the point of having 5 different attacks, if you're just going to use one of them. Or two leading, and then one the rest of the fight. The only game where I felt that having multiple different types of attacks was one Chinese RPG I played. Unfortunately, the game world itself wasn't very well done, since it was just an open world, with no walls, terrain, or anything other than different ambiences. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying, is that I don't like it when games introduce new spells or skills to the players just in order to replace old spells and skills, rather than building on those old spells and skills. Take Alteraeon for example, if you're a mage, you get access to spells like blue dart, fireball, greater fireball, fire web. However, you'll never really use blue dart at higher levels, since the idea of a mage is to deal the most amount of damage as quickly as possible. They have been getting better about drawing in affects from lower level spells to improve higher level spells, like static blast decreasing a mob's resistance to zapping damage, but it's a pretty common thing I've seen in RPGs. You're given a huge list of skills and abilities, but only the highest level ones available are any good. It seems like a gimp thing to do, and reflects the forethought put into the skills and spells for that game IMHO.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : aaron77 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Berenion via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : caio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Berenion via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : 拓海 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vazbol via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector