Re: Faith and christianity

Having been to catholic services I can honestly say that I do "believe" they worship Marry and even certain saints to some degree.  I stress, this is my belief of the catholic church; far be it from me to know what in the world lies in the heart of man.  The church of course is different in many other ways, but perhaps this is the one that bothers me the most.

They refer to it as "Veneration" of Marry and the saints.  Let us define veneration:

The act of venerating, or the state of being venerated; the highest degree of respect and reverence; respect mingled with awe; a feeling or sentiment excited by the dignity, wisdom, or superiority of a person, by sacredness of character, by consecration to sacred services, or by hallowed associations.

Merriam-Webster says that to venerate is to regard with reverential respect or with admiring deference, or to honor (as an icon or a relic) with a ritual act of devotion.

The root word for veneration is the Latin venerārī, which means I worship, adore, or revere, at least two of which are things I've known to be advocated to some degree or another when it comes to Marry or the saints, to the point that there are statues or depictions of them in catholic churches and houses.  I've also heard the old saying among catholics, "To Jesus, through Marry."  This saying implies that they believe they can pray to Marry to intercede on their behalf, going so far as to call her the queen mother.  Even if in the end you don't flat out want to call it worship, it is borderline idolatry, and we only need look at the 10 commandments to know that idolatry is a no no as far as God's concerned.

Of course, as I sated previously, far be it from me to say I know the intentions of others at all times, so all I can do is let God deal with them as he sees fit.