Re: is coding in python easy? just interested

I've made games in Java and _javascript_ and learned my lesson about lag back when I tried to have IE5 update 80 images a frame. Other than using boatloads of transparent gradients, I don't see speed issues in interpreted languages becoming much of a problem (and for most of those, most of the work can be saved in images and reused, and thus lag disappears).

In BGT, I only ever get lag when I have a ridiculous number of collision checks per frame, and even then I suspect there's some inefficiency in there somewhere I haven't been able to track down. So far I've done nothing sensitive enough that spreading out checks over multiple frames can't help.

Yukionozawa did a speed comparison between HSP and BGT shortly after BGT became freeware. I remember BGT being slightly slower (but winning in a different test I don't remember). I wouldn't really expect a significant speed difference between BGT and Python, is what I'm saying.

< p>(I'll second Camlorn on the indentation thing: I'm still focusing mostly on BGT just because it's easier to continue with what I've been using, but I've had one eye on porting to Python if I get a game strong enough that I can support adding graphics, so I've been using indentation and placing braces etc such that they're easy to clean up programmatically. My number of "unexpected end of file" errors has dropped dramatically.)

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : the terminator via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : CAE_Jones via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : CAE_Jones via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : thggamer via Audiogames-reflector