Farming, Homesteading, and Rustlin' up them Tradin' Skills

Hello,

I am one of those crafty types who enjoy seeing different farming systems and learning how they work, how they tick, and if I can create something awesome.

do you have suggestions for me? I would take either a mud, a browser-based game with different trading skills, or something that I am not considering.

if you play, how difficult is it to get involved with those aspects of the game?

Thank you very much. I'd love to play something new, preferably with others as I tend to be a social player who relishes in collaborating with and making new friends.