Re: The wheel of time and other fantasy books

OK, let's assume I'm going to plunge back into WOT. Am I starting with Eye, or that prequel novel?

It's cool to read all of this because for me, I'm a compulsive re-reader. I'm also dumb. It took quite a few re-reads of Eddings to hit the stuff I mentioned way back. I should add, I don't have  a problem with them, as such. Eddings is fun enough, I just think it detracts a bit when you realize he's essentially telling the same story over and over and over again. But I mean, I've read all the Conan stories a few times, no problem. I sort of figure hey, whatever problematic stuff is going on, that's how people were back then, or at least, that's how the author wanted the characters to be.

Stories are weird for me. They need to grab me, and that's about it. Everybody was super jazzed about the Pern stories. I started reading one, and I just got to the middle and went, man I do not care about these people or what's going on with them. I did read all of Eye, so that's something. That's what makes me kind of want to get back into it. On the other hand, I read all of Harry Potter and I'm just going, OK, read that, kind of fun, don't need to go back to it. But I love The Book of Three series, so go figure.

So some of the stuff you're talking about like, oh you know this character's going to be the good guy or whatever, eh, doesn't bother me much. I think that's because it's another story trope that you need ambiguous people, you know? They're part of life too, obviously. But I think that, by and large, most of the people you meet, you probably know whether they're decent people or assholes fairly quickly. So it doesn't really bother me to have characters conform to those types unless it just gets ridiculous.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Berenion via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matt1211 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : matt1211 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : st . mc via Audiogames-reflector