Re: Disability versus ability

No this isn't a direct answer but it is related to your question, I'm going to key off fo something Blair/Illuminati said in one of her youtube videos and it got me thinking.

I feel like media/society is to blame for this. HOw so? Let's see...

The way disabled people are treated in general by society, but also by media. Blair touched on something I found fascinating in her video, which I'll link below. She calls it 'supercrip' which frankly just makes me think of a disabled gangbanger....but what she means by that, is showing disabled people in media overcoming their disability, no, 'overcoming', and generalizing that anyone can do it. She also hits on the notion of being rewarded for doing everyday tasks by people going oh, you are so brave and so amazing... type comments and rewarding people, from society at large, to other disabled people. Blair also makes a point in that video that disabled is a much, much easier blanket term to use than going okay we got blind people, deaf people, amputees, etc. It's easier to just use disabled for a group as a whole. Like visually impaired is used for people who have somee vision and blind people alike.

Said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omlNYt782mw