Re: Urgent advice needed!

ironcross32 wrote:

There are some pretty short-sighted responses in this thread. First of all, if done correctly, mainstreaming can be an invaluable experience. Not only do you learn how to actually study and take notes which will prepare you for college, but you learn how to socialize which is sorely needed because just look at what passes for blind school socialization. Second, you'll never convince me that braille isn't important. It's the difference between literacy and illiteracy. If you don't know braille, you're functionally illiterate, end of discussion. Audio is not the same, and while you may be able to get by, you're using a passive process to do it.

Besides which, I can definitely see where computer science stuff would be very suitable for braille, since I'd imagine it's a lot of mathematical formulae and equations that are just better suited to an active process of absorption.

Yep, truth of the matter is sighted people multi task in jobs a lot, and the only way we're going to be able to do that is to use Braille, where it works that is. I don't know how I would have understood math, even as well as I do without Braille. There just isn't a digestible way of doing that out there.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aron Leppik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Deucalion via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Marina7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Accman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : serrebi via Audiogames-reflector