Re: The gate is on sale

Admittedly, a good portion of the voice acting in this game is provided by Aaron himself...and it's cringe. There's also one female voice actress who overplays the living snot out of...what's her name? Mrgana? The person with the cauldron, I've only watched one playthrough of the game, but her shrill pain scream is like drill-bits in my ears. It's one of the reasons I'm not interested in shelling out for the game, honestly, apart from the aforementioned cheesy ways to die and bad level setup where you can be put in a position where you need arrows/poison cure items and don't have them. On the easy difficulty. Add to that the whole Grey Lady being a first boss, and being as mean as she is? Nah, not a lot of balance work went into this game, so I choose not to buy it. Others have obviously felt differently, though, and that's fine.
I paid something like twenty bucks for Super Liam, and this game has a bit more going on as far as difficulty and complexity. That said, while SuperLiam is pretty easy (read: very easy) by comparison, it also made me laugh a couple of times, had good sound design, no bugs, no weird item detection issues. If this game's asking price had been twenty bucks right from day 1, then for me at least, that's a bit more reasonable, if only because the audio gaming community has had over ten years between SL and the Gate to make side-scrollers better.
Also? BK3. It's crazy, and in some places murderously difficult, but it's...free. I think BK3 kind of spoiled me for other side-scrollers, personally. If I'm only lukewarm on a side-scroller, I'm extremely unlikely to buy or recommend it.