Re: The gate is on sale

@Juliantheaudiogamer
You can always use JGT, and it's not too bad, especially when combined with the BK3 guide.

@Nidza
Most of the voice acting wasn't great I agree, but you're even now still ignoring the sounds and music.  If you want any chance of making enough money to justify the time you spent on the project within the audiogames community, let alone just breaking even for your dev costs, you need to have a pretty high price for each copy.  It's unfortunate, but without seeing his financial info, I really can't say for sure what kind of margins he had.
Either way like I said, I wish he would have lowered the price after the first few months at least.
And yeah I agree that most traps are more reaction and speed based than strategy based, but when you get lots of different enemies on both sides or in a big line, or in certain combinations, you need to think fast about what to prioritize, where you want to land, where the next healing pool is, how to save your arrows ETC.
But I wouldn't argue for a second that it comes even close to BK3.  However comparing the two based on price is impossible since Yukio chose to make his product free and had low to no dev costs, plus he was a teen at that time and wouldn't have been able to make money at a job with that time he spent on coding the game anyway, where as Aaron may have.
Yukio did show us just how far audio gaming could go though, where as games like The Gate are definitely stuck in the past.

@chrisnorman7
You bring up a good point, but a community which can't give personal reviews about the projects produced within it will only get sub par products.  Sure he could be more considerate, but at the same time, how else do you expect things to improve if criticism is so light as to be essentially pointless?
They sell for allot less because they offer allot less than even mainstream indi games made by solo/partner dev teams, and even then, they would charge a fraction of the amount for what we have to offer, because people wouldn't pay otherwise.  But because we're a niche market, that pricing model just isn't sustainable here...
So all we can realistically use as a bar would be other games in our own market, and given that we have so few to compare in each genre that are near the same pricepoint, the value is really in the eye of the beholder.
Meaning that there is really no right or wrong opinion about price VS quality, even if all the factors should be taken into account.