Styles/genres/types of audio games

Hey guys,

This is really more a design question than a code question, but it's something I've been wondering about for awhile now.  Okay, so my background (as a gamer) is retro games.  I love playing Nintendo, Commodore, Sega and stuff like that.  I also enjoy a good text adventure (obviously), though those were popular like a decade before my time.  Anyway, on all those platforms, there are some pretty clear-cut game design patterns.  Donkey Kong, Mario, Sonic, Giana Sisters, Mega-Man, etc. are platformers.  Galaga, 1943, Space Invaders etc. are shooters.  Final Fantasy, Defender of the Crown etc. are RPGs.  There is some overlap (like Mega-Man and Metroid have an awful lot of shooting for platformers) but you get the general idea.

Now I was wondering, what are the common types / styles of audio games?  I've played a few: ZomPocalypse, Air Strike something (a shooter like Galaga or 1943), and of course A Blind Legend on the iPhone.  I tried BK3 but could barely get past the tutorial (that's the kind of game where I just gotta have a controller lol).  Then there are text-based games - not just text adventures like I like to build, but web-based things like Sryth; I'm not sure they technically count as audio games since there's no sound, but they're still accessible to players who are blind so I'm including them anyway.  And last but not least you got games that are "accessible by accident", games with enough audio that people can figure out how to play them without vision.  This list is all over the place, so as a programmer I just can't help but wonder, what are some of the more popular / more common audio game genres out there?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : fonografico2 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zakc93 via Audiogames-reflector