Re: Seriously, what is it you guys want?

@77:
You're talking down on "all your fancy 3D binaural audio bels and whistles" and on the one hand I want to agree here. I too believe that good game mechanics alone make for good games. Chess stays a great game even with super ugly figures and a cork board.

But especially OFDP is a bad example for this I think. Because I think a lot of appeal from it actually came from the phenomenon juice I've mentioned. Watch this video from Game Makers Toolkit for further reference. In OFDP it already was super rewarding to simply click the buttons at the right time. It had so much impact and felt so great to hit your opponents even though you were basically just clicking.
So in this special case I think all the superficial "bells and whistles" were working extremely well. Sure, they wouldn't have saved the game if the core gameplay would have been bad. It was a pretty clever idea and a good example how to build upon the simplest building blocks in game design. But I think OFDP actually is a great example how good art design can push a game over the top.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dennybuster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector