Re: swamp pricing discussion

.exe files don't mean much. I could make those back with Winzip 3.0 on Windows 98 for my powerpoint games. I can't run them now because data storage couldn't keep up with the filesize I needed back then, but the point is, those games sucked and I had a .exe anyway.

It's not frustrating that you're upset about the change to paid multiplayer. It's frustrating that your posts indicate that you're ignoring the fact that most people are fine with it.
As for your question, though?
Before Swamp came along, Aprone was fast. No, really; I realized that Aprone was a good standard for "rapid, consistent, high-quality output" in audio games (compare web serials that try to update multiple times a week and announce in advance when they're likely to miss), so I dug up Aprone's 2010-2011 posts and looked at the numbers.
At his slowest, it was 2-3 months between games.
At his fastest, he was pumping out utilities lit erally overnight.
Swamp has been a huge, huge slowdown for Aprone and his mountain of innovations, and an enormous chunk of that can be attributed to the constant battle with hackers.
The paid accounts seriously reduces the time required to fight hackers, which means that Aprone might be able to make new games again.
It also means people who pay can play Swamp without having to deal with hackers screwing with them whenever they slip through the cracks. Hackers used loads and loads of spam accounts to accomplish many of their feats. Doing that now would cost them hundreds of dollars or more, and since most of them appeared to be teenagers who thought plotting in another language using the in-game chat was secure, that's probably out of reach for 99.9% of them.

We got Lunimals, Temporal, Castaways, Dog Who Hates Toast, and Swamp all in one year. That is straight-up amazing. Never mind the utilities like Dark Grue, Thumbnail Wavs, etc.
We've gotten w hat averages out to one game a year since Swamp - Obsessive Compulsive, Community Feud, and Revelation.

You can still dislike the price. You can still want to comiserate over it. That's fine. But the general consensus here has taken into account most of your arguments not based on personal preference and found them lacking.

Having said all that? I like free games, too. But there's ideal, and there's what works, and these have a frustrating tendency to look rather different from one another.