Re: linux users, what do you like about it

Hi there,
@5: did you eventually pass the installation? Did your problems continue even on running system?
How exactly did they look like on normal run of an installed system?
Did you see my post, where I recommended to learn how to do flat review and reading the whole screen?
These two skills are really useful, especially the firstone, many places, especially with purely textual information, are unreachable without one or the other and thus you may feel restricted in those situations.

@6: whats wrong with Mate?
I personally use it every day and don't see where it sucks, there is the universal mate menu, the bottom tray, multiple desktops, accessible settings and a good files browser, which doesn't crash on every occassion, like Nautilus does. big_smile
What else should it be capable of?
Of course pleasure is a subjective thing and everyone likes something else, that's in fact the whole reason why Mate exists. I'm just interested.

I personally don't like Ubuntu Gnome i.e. the classic Ubuntu. It doesn't even have accessible desktop, and Nautilus, as I mentioned before, is able to crash just from trying to do a flat review. Seriously, I've really experienced that.
I don't remember Caja ever crashing, and when it did, it was most likely due to my crazy usage. The when part of the sentence is there because I remember one crash, where I can't recall which system was I using at the time, whether Ubuntu Gnome or Mate.

As for Orca, yes, its documentation definitely sucks. Speech dispatcher has a lot betterone, I was capable of implementing my own speech module based on it, even though it misses few parts. But the Orcaone is horrible.
We could very well create a whole science around it, Orcology, the science of studying Orca code. big_smile

However, as for OCR, there is a way to do this.
https://github.com/chrys87/ocrdesktop

It works, I've just tried. It's a single Python script. After installing dependencies, it's handy to stick it to a shortcut, and after activating it, it will take a screenshot and ocr it.
A window will be displayed with a read-only edit field, where you can browse the results, copy them, and even click on them either with left click, double click or right click.
Plus, you can configure various parameters of the screen capturing such as setting the capture to black and white, setting exact thresholds for the two colors, and other image processing things to get the best results.
You can read all details on what it can do in its documentation, it's a part of the repository.
It's even more advanced than NVDA's OCR I'd say.

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bhanuponguru via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kish via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kish via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kish via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kish via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kish via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector