Re: would it be possible to port a speech engine to Game Boy Advance?

GBA sound is fine for producing Espeak-quality speech.  I think I could get speech out of the NES if I tried.  Not great speech, but enough.  Doing the GBA shouldn't be a problem, save that it's pointless and would take like a month of my time.  The real problem with giving games spoken dialog etc. is that it's big, and the cartridges are way too small to waste the space.

The problem is more that you've got too little CPU.  The games already take 100% of the resources.  You've also got problems around weird sound architecture.  It's not going to be anything like compile Espeak and go.  Think more like rewrite half of Espeak and then you can't run a game at the same time.

Pokemon Access uses Lua scripts to look at memory directly, I believe.  You probably want to do the same thing.  if you need to let the game speak directly, you can poll a known address from ram in the same way Pokemon Access does and read a string from it, which I imagine is more like an afternoon at most if you start from Pokemon Access.