Re: I need to rant at you about your behavior in mainstream communities

I've heard stirrings about a possible link between blindness and autism, but I don't know if that's true or not. For the sake of argument, I'll assume it's false. My next target will be the undersocialization that blind people seem to experience. They're not socialized with sighted kids in some case, and I think that's where a lot of this stems from. Overprotective parents is another thing that I feel really messes with their development. They don't have a normal childhood. They don't really have a rite of passage into adulthood, so they're somewhere in between.

What really gets me is the way people will happily betray us and hurt us. When they take their shenanigans to the wider world, they will make impressions on people. Now, whoever comes next gets painted with the same brush that the first person got hit with when they acted a fool.

You could say it's not right, it's not fair, it's stereotyping, but it's not changing any time soon. So why are these people hurting themselves and everyone else? Dude sometimes I don't even wanna go to other places that I know blind people have been because I'm worried about how I'll be perceived, and whether or not I'll have to do damage control. It sucks, even more so because some of these people are adults doing this shit.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not fair that we have to be ambassadors for the entire community. But many things about living with a disability aren't fair. We can't even unify to try to spread a wider message because of petty insignificant drama. And I know that most of you are right, this message won't do any good, but fuck is it a thing to witness when your own people shit all over themselves, you, and everyone else.

Maybe I should never talk about my condition. Maybe I should just play and never say a word and stop helping with accessibility stuff. If I can't play then I stop, if I can then I do but I never mention blindness ever again because brother let me tell you, as soon as you step foot into the blind community, they drape a ceremonial cloak over you and it weighs 200 pounds.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Draq via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sightlessHorseman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : sightlessHorseman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : heidicruiz via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector