Re: what are your opinions about guide dogs?

@3
I mean, the thing is that I don't find that I have to spend 100% of my energy on travel.  Your cane skills may be good, but "I have to spend 100% of my energy on travel" is a foreign concept to me.  It's like 30%, maybe.  I can totally zone out when using the cane unless it's somewhere I've never been before.  And when I'm doing something with someone where I want to be focused on them instead of travel I just grab an elbow and off we go: you can deal with the lack of skill on their part by still covering yourself with the cane, while not having to spend effort on knowing where to go next, which drops the 30% effort to like 10%.  But I'm in downtown Seattle, which means I've got a grid, so where to go next is always a 90 degree turn, which means that if we're like walking to a restaurant or something, even that's not necessary because it's get to the corner and I find out if it's a turn.

So idk.  That extra bit of zoning out is nice, but it's not nearly so much as you're describing.

And for the weird cases where you're doing something as unusual as a hospital we've now got things like Seeing AI and I don't see that going away.  It's just, lots and lots of little things chipped away at it.  I love dogs.  I actually might get a non-guide dog dog in the near future.  But I just woke up one day and it was like "you know, I can do a lot more with a lot less effort with the cane" and that was that.