Re: I am affronted by the presence of god

Hi,

I think one of my biggest problems with religion is that there is so much contradiction, even here in a topic with less than 100 posts I’ve seen different people defending religion contradict each other. On one hand I hear people saying god can not directly intervene  in human matters due to free will, but then within a few posts someone else is saying that god is a voice inside us directly talking to us and guiding us, so this is god directly influencing humans. then in another post someone else comes up and says they  were unwell and god then directly worked through friends and family influencing their actions to speed their recovery, again contradicting this concept that god cannot intervene due to free will. . . I believe mankind has a huge thirst for knowledge, whether you believe in a god or not, there will always be questions. Someone mentioned indirectly the big bang theory, in that the universe cannot just have appeared from nothing, this is a question which may never have an answer , how could something appear from nothing, but the same question exists even if you believe in god, in the same way the universe could not just appear out of nothing one day, if you believe there has to be a beginning and that something must have created the universe , then by the same token god must have a beginning too,  if the universe could  not just appear one day out of nowhere, then neither could god. The argument someone or something must have created the universe  is the same as the argument someone or something must have created god, regardless of whether you believe in god or not if you travel back far enough through time there has to be nothing at some point and god or the universe had to just appear one day. I think some people just simply need religion to answer the questions which seem unanswerable. Take the many Greek gods of old, people assigned gods to almost each and every element of the world and universe, there were gods and goddesses of the sea, the moon, thunder and much more, most of these were created as man  kind needed a way to explain what back then couldn’t be explained . science has since come along and given reason to why the sea and moon work as they do and we no longer worship or believe in these gods because of this. Humans throughout the history have needed religion as a way of answering questions which can’t be answered, this can be seen in almost each continent  across our relatively small planet,  in that each have come up with their own very different version  of god or religion. Again, I don’t have a problem with other people following their own believes and religion, but to me it seems some people just need something to believe in, I’ve seen here in this topic people which don’t believe in god say that even without religion or believing in an afterlife  or a higher power that they are content with their place in the world or universe and that the simple act of being here and wanting to better ones self and to be here for friends and family is all the reason they need for why they are here, on the other hand I’ve seen people saying that without god what is the point, where is the purpose, why carry on, how to we define wrong and right without a god to guide us. Again,  I don’t have anything against people having believe or faith in what ever they want or whatever god or higher power they want, but its seems to me and I don’t want this to sound shitty, but just that some people need to believe in a higher power to give them meaning, to support them through difficult times and to give answers to unanswerable questions. regarding a soul, Personally I don’t believe in a soul, I believe what makes each and everyone of us unique is our own personal experiences and memories, I don’t believe we do good because of god, I believe we do good  because it is the right thing to do, how do we know it is right, because it’s what our parents instil into us as we grow. a parent  wants their children to grow and reach their full potential, be the best they can be to do this they teach us to be good and kind and teach us morals. Going back to the point that we are governed by our memories and experiences, I believe this is much the same way that current AI works, the big difference here though is that as humans we’ve had billions of years to refine how we learn, the current techniques we use for artificial learning to the best of my knowledge are fairly new concepts, I couldn’t say how recent but I would imagine the huge leaps in AI learning have probably all come round in just the last ten or twenty years, so it’s a concept still very much in its infancy, try and imagine what we will have achieved in another twenty years, what about a hundred years, what about if given a billion or so years to refine that technology in the same way we have had billions of years to refine our own learning process, from neanderthal to the modern man. Finally, I do understand this argument that god cannot be proven, that it is about having faith, but without being able to provide prove  I think you have to agree that without prove that any talk of god or his existence is somewhat a hypothetical argument, based on that I’m going to finish with a hypothetical  question regarding the soul and god: we all understand how the human reproduction system works (or at least I really hope we all do hahaha), so if we believe in a soul,  during reproduction when is the soul created? Is it the moment the sperm fertilises the egg, is their some  magical spark at that exact moment which creates a soul? Or is apart of my soul in the sperm, and part of my partners soul in her egg, is the fertilisation a merging of our two souls to create a new soul, if so do each of the thousand sperms which don’t make it to the egg all have a part of a soul which dies  when they fail to fertilise an egg? Regardless of which of these you believe, man can already take an egg and sperm and fertilise them outside the human body, what if in 20, or 50 or 100 years, what if man could artificially create both sperm and an egg and then join them together, if we actually created a human ,  if this person went on to live a normal and healthy live, would you say they had no soul? Would you accept such a thing as proof that the soul doesn’t exist?  Or to keep it more relevant and less futuristic, what about the sheep they cloned called dolly back in the 90’s, did that sheep have no soul, or in the cloning of the sheep did mankind actually create a soul even if just a copy of a soul? Not necessarily looking for answers but just giving some food for thought.

Paul

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GauravSharma via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : abdullah_mohammad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector