Re: Do You Have Any Tips on Getting Started With Sewing

I haven't done it by hand since the 7th grade. They make these open ended needles, but I don't know what they're called and they're hard to find, or were back then. Basically, instead of the eye of the needle being closed so you have to thread it, which is going to be damn near impossible for us, they have an open end. It's almost a closed loop, but not quite. There's just enough tolerance to allow the needle to slip through with a little coercion, but in theory, it shouldn't come back out.

In theory, but not in practice. They annoyed me because the thread would slip through the open end. I have put a bit of thought into this about how I might overcome the issue of threading the needle because I gotta use what's on hand. What's needed here is a guide of sorts. I used to take a thin piece of wire and a pair of pliers to redo a wick for a zippo lighter. You poke the end of the wire through one end of the wick and push the wire through with the other end. You gotta do it right though, because it's got to pull the wick up enough to let you get at it with the needle nose pliers at the top end.

I thought something like that might work. If I ever needed to do it, I might find something thin enough. It's got to be real thin though. Maybe the stripped end of a paperclip, but that might be a bit too thick. The point of a toothpick is about right, but it widens out too much and you'll never get it through.

If I really cared about sewing, I'd find some way to macGyver it with whatever I had on hand. It might take a while, but once you find something that works well, you can jump right to it next time. Just remember to tie the thread at the end so the knot you make is bigger than the eye of the needle and you're good.