Re: Game Creation

Orin, what Kamlorn said above is all too true. I am a fairly experienced programmer, and cross-platform development is difficult for even an experienced coder. There are a number of languages like Java, Python, etc that claim to be cross-platform, but it only works assuming you do or don't use this or that API, library, etc. So since you are a new developer my suggestion is start with something that works on your operating system of choice first, and once you have more experience branch out to other platforms.

Regarding documentation similar to BGT for Pure Basic isn't going to happen. Let's be realistic. Audio games aren't exactly well known outside of the blind and low vision community, and Pure Basic isn't widely used by mainstream programmers. There is probably some documentation for general game development in Pure Basic, but you'd have to go through and assess what was and was not important. Probably not something you want to do being a ne w programmer.

To be honest documentation is one of the things I have against Pure Basic. It may be a easy enough language to learn, may work alright for developing games, but there isn't a great deal of documentation like there is for other languages. Add to that Pure Basic is not free, and you are going to end up paying out money for something when you could have tried something with more documentation and that is free to start with.

All that said I think your best option at this point might be Python 2.7. The reason I say that is Python is fairly cross-platform depending on if you use the right APIs, it is fairly easy to learn, and there is lots of general documentation out there on the language. I am sure if you ask game developers that one of us might be able to write a tutorial or sample code to help you with gaming specifics.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : CAE_Jones via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : CAE_Jones via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector