Re: The Best Means of Editing Config Files via SSH on Windows?

I always have had problems to edit files over SSH, even in nano, the simplest text editor you can find. With any SSH client, any screen reader, it's always the same problem and I never found a solution:  the cursor doesn't follow correctly as you are moving and it becomes quickly a pain to navigate in the file and make the changes you want.

For me too, at the moment, the simplest I have found is by using an SFTP client. I can recommand WinSCP. It has a very useful feature: you can press enter on a file in the list, it opens in notepad or any other editor you might configure, and changes are automatically uploaded again when you save.

The only problem of this solution is that there is no sudo in SFTP. It means that wheither you always login as root and it's bad from a security point of view, or you don't login at root but have to copy back and forth temporary files in your home folder using a second SSH connection.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jason SW via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dhruv via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jason SW via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aminiel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector