Re: The contraversy of Mallenche, and its creator, Howard Sherman

OK, so I've taken the plunge and got Eamon Deluxe up and running. Putting aside my instant puke reaction to having to run qbasic under Linux, which I didn't even notice while I was running it under Windows--but to be fair, it's possible, and he's done a nice job with it--I see what you mean about the elaborate nature of A Runcible Cargo, story-wise. However, it (at least from a few minutes playing) would appear that you are still constrained to the "Description then objects" narrative, and you do still appear to have the same limited three-word parser, i.e., you're sort of playing a really interesting IF game using a combat engine.

Now don't get me wrong, it's interesting and I'm glad you pointed it out to me. Certainly I have nothing against people's choice to play Eamon if they like this style of gameplay. But if anything this little piece of Eamonised IF highlights very strongly the clash between a closed parser and a n excellent story. What if this had been written using a conventional IF system? Would it not have been a much sweeter, smoother fit?

As to Eamon Deluxe itself, well now I've got it installed under dosemu, I might as well relive the distant past. Some of this stuff is offensively retro, but it still deserves recognition for the style, the genre, and perhaps a gold star for being written in BASIC. smile