Re: The contraversy of Mallenche, and its creator, Howard Sherman

Mmm, I thought the whole point of leaving open the parser was that you *didn't* get the impression that you were trapped inside a limited mechanic? Obviously, the parser and the player disagree. smile

I don't accept that limiting the player is the answer. No justification will ever convince me of the need to constrain the player for their own benefit. So what if it's true? It's still wrong. tongue

Yes Dark, you hit the nail on the head re motive miscalculation. You've clearly run into similar circumstances. Most recent example in Divided We Fall: if you as a Catholic nurse decide in favour of blackmail to reach your ends, offering to keep your company in exchange for better recognition, you become a willing prostitute. That's not what I asked for, and not what I wanted. I accept that life naturally proves ambiguous, but definitely not to that extent. And yes this is as much about good game design as anything, but I think it illustrates the problem of keeping a good story together while offering a limited selection of choices.

I think this discussion once again says that different things work for different people. smile

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector