Re: The limitations of audio interfaces

I agree that touch offers both a much greater range of inputs while at the same time offering much less granularity than visuals. That said I would say from my experiences with the ultracane that the pulsing vibration motors weren't very optimised for their usage. Vibration motors depending on the model can take time to reach speed so that limits the rate at which they can be pulsed, I'd say the ones in the ultracane weren't bad but weren't necessarily the fastest I've felt. Personally I'd have been inclined to use intensity of vibration rather than pulse speed, in part because of the limitations inherent in this.

Voice control certainly has its place and could be incredibly useful, especially if the Kinect for Windows thing ever actually gets off the ground, but speaking a command is always going to be slower than pressing a button and sometimes the extra time it takes makes all the difference. That said voice control does offer the potential o f multitasking where we could be using keyboard and voice inputs simultaneously, assuming we're the kind of person who can pat our head and rub our stomach at the same time.