Re: The limitations of audio interfaces

I like how, in 16 bit games with a sound test, most of them didn't label anything; they were just numbered. And the majority of the time, these sounds, even though they were poor quality for hardware reasons, were still pretty recognizable.
Some of them were a little weirder; the last two levels of Sonic 2 used sounds in ways I hadn't expected when I went through the sound test earlier. Curiously, it seems like very few of the Sega classics use laser sounds that sound anything at all like the typical laser sound.

(Golden Axe leads me to believe that the Genesis could do pitch-bending. This was, of course, never used in a useful way. See: there are only two screams in sound test, but you can hear a few variations in-game.)