Re: Anime discussion

assault_freak, a lot of context is lost in translation, because language usually can't really be translated directly from one to the other. Then you get things like puns and idioms. I know some anime that most English Speakers don't understand the meaning or context because it is lost in the translation from Japanese. It also depends on the quality of the translation but even the best ones will lack the actual meaning of the original work. You actually get the same thing if you read "translated" versions of shakespere's plays. Also, reading subtitles can be extremely distracting, which is why a lot of more casual viewers prefer dubs (such as myself).

I'm pretty sure in the english version it suggested she was going blind. Still kind of weird that he needs THREE MILLION DOLLARS for what appear to be cataracts, especially since this plot thread is dropped on a dime through most of that arc for LOL CARD GAMES. As a kid I didn't even think it w as her going blind, I thought she had cancer. [[wow]] that's honestly kind of disappointing (as weird as that may sound). If they were cataracts it would take years for those cataracts to be completely debilitating and even then she would, again, recover pretty quickly regardless of when she got surgery. I know it's less in the Japanese version but still that's kind of insane. Also apparently in yugioh land there's no such thing as insurance... maybe Joey's family is just super poor or something

I actually like some of the changes they made to the 4kids dub, I can't believe I'm saying that but yes. The shadow realm makes far more sense than people dying and being brought back to life, and frankly is a much scarier concept than just dying, because you're alone in a scary world forever, with no means of escape, except from the outside. Honestly the stakes placed in the dub make the show a lot more enjoyable because everything is really sup er ridiculous. Yes, going to the shadow realm won't physically hurt you but it is a psychological torture device essentially. And that's the kind of thing I just eat up like candy. Still hated how people would use the Anime rules in the actual card game though. You could never play with other kids because they'd always make their own BS rules.

Speaking of which I've been thinking about writing a console Old School Yu-gi-oh simulator in Java or something, just as something to mix things up.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : niall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector