Re: Anime discussion

Daigonite, as someone who speaks both languages, I guess that it doesn't always occur to me, although speaking from the same bilingual position, I don't necessarily agree that translations always get lost. I have seen some anime that actually manage to capture the nuances pretty well, occasionally... if not with the exact same lines then with something which is near the equivalent. I can understand why some people would prefer dubs, especially as you say because subtitles are really distracting. Again, one of the things that don't occur to me even though my Japanese is only slightly above the lower intermediate level. It just makes it easier to find anime that isn't released or well known here in the west, like Jojo's Bizarre adventure, just as one example.

The 4 kids dub of Yu-gi-o was what I grew up with, and I actually still enjoy it... and Kaiba is actually just as crazy in the Japanese version as he is in the English one, just more subtlely. lol But going back to what we were talking about in terms of being lost in translation... Yu-gi-o was actually one of the ones that made me angry because of the fact that so much was mistranslated on purpose. Sure most people won't care, but some people find it odd, myself included. but to each their own. lol I don't exactly remember how much Joey's sister needed for surgery in the original but yes, 3000000 is a little much. hahaha.

Yu-yu Hakusho was actually quite good, I enjoyed it... but short anime will still be my favorites as to anything over 100 episodes with Jojo being an exception. For the sake of everyone who is totally blind here or doesn't prefer subtitles... I wish it was dubbed, because it's something that so many people miss out on... and is one of the best anime character and plot wise that I know of. For those people who like action though, Sengoku Basara is also another one to check out, based on the video game series by Capcom.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : niall via Audiogames-reflector