Re: I want to get started with programming moos but I am not sure where to

Wait. No.
You can be both, but I'd advise being one or the other in the long run.  If you aren't, you will have a truly enormous amount of work to have a game that's actually worth playing.
Frastlin's advice doesn't really apply too much to the moo coder, though it could help the moo builder.  If you adopt specific building methodologies, you can have areas that can be ported across.  But the balance on everything will always be different, the commands to enter it all will always be different, etc.  In truth, I do not personally see the point of having an area you can move between muds: if we all did that, no mud would be unique, and there just wouldn't be a point.
If the goal is your own game, then you'll want to learn to code by yourself.  If the goal is to learn Moocode, then go find a moo you like and see if they'll teach you.
it is worth pointing out that, if the goal is any game of any sort and not specifically a moo, things like Evennia or even non-mud projects will let you actually use practices and tools from the last 20 years.  Examples of such include version control, your own personal programming time machine and alternate universe manipulation tool.  Not all of the modern software development practices are things that will seem to yield immediate or obvious benefit, but the ones that have survived a long time did so for a reason.  Learning them can let you avoid many new programmer mistakes.  Just some food for thought.