Re: let's talk about the hobbit film trilogy

I don't agree Brad about Thorin I'm afraid. In the book Thorin's death is exclusively a moment of character, his nobility shows in how he forgives Bilbo (his "if more of us valued food and cheer and song" is actually something I've quoted myself).

It's just typical hollywood thinking that he has to have some over the top dragged out fight with big boss orc and his death was amazingly quick, indeed sinse his entire acting and dialogue was ridiculously over dramatic throughout the entire film I just couldn't take his death seriously at all, contrast it with Boromir in the first Lotr film and you'll see what I mean.

Heck, Azog wasn't particularly necessary anyway, (particulary with how he should've been dead 150 years before).

The Hobbit was never a book about big epic action, and while the films obviously had to have some of that, it really killed the characters in the last two for me, one reason I do not ag ree about the dwarves in Bag end in the first film sinse to me that was just right, having a good amount of commic stuffand really showing just how stay at home and petty Bilbo was before he left with the Dwarves, one thing which made his dramatic charge of the orcs later in the film all the more heartfelt, indeed had this continued I'd have loved to have Bilbo have a good fight with the spiders then conclude with the scene in the woods where he names his sword Sting, and then rescues the dwarves, taunting the spiders all the way, to say the dwarves spend three out of the books 18 chapters in Mirkwood, it didn't half seem quick in the film and what they substituted was not great.

The third film wasn't quite as bad, albeit it still! was mostly just a huge battle and everything else squeezed around the sides, sometimes I think Jackson's real actors are his cg armies and his actual human actors are an afterthought :d.