Re: starting out with a guidedog.

First, read this.
http://www.anythingpawsable.com/before- … K72qLl0zXg

I don't know if there are any programs in the UK for testing out a dog before owning one. Such things are difficult to find in the US. Problematic too, is the fact that a practice dog won't know you, won't be matched for your body/speed, and that the both of you may be bumbling and confused. A friend let me walk with her dog a brief way through my college campus, and that short practice was very different from owning my own dog. A lot more rough and frustrating for the both of us.

This is about to be a lot of questions. Give each of these some deep thought. Don't just answer yes or no. Be honest with yourself.

Are you independent? Can you get to the store, or as we do, order your dog's food off Amazon? Can you afford the cost of a decent brand? Can you afford food bowl, water bowl, and vet care? Can you afford toys and bones? Will you learn to know what toys not to buy? Can you afford a dog brush and comb, maybe some conditioner spray if you live in a dry area? Can you get a ride to the vet in an emergency?
Are you willing to stand out in freezing temperatures while your dog circles and circles, then pick up its leavings? Are your cane skills good? Do you constantly need to feel landmarks and shorelines, or can you get a good sense of the area? Do you get easily lost? Can you cross streets safely on your own? Are you willing to keep a set schedule for food? We feed our pups at 9 in the morning and 8 at night, keeping as close as we can to the time interval, even if we're a bit early or late. Will you put down the computer and take your dog outside? Will you play with it in the house, doing tug, throwing balls, and bonding? Will you get out of your warm, cozy bed to take the dog out, even if it means picking up after it? Will you carry, as we lovingly term them, "Shit bags" in your pocket every time you take it out?
Will you carry essentials with you; doggie bags, a travel water bowl on a hot day, a towel to wipe its feet in the snow? Will you buy it some booties to protect its feet from salty ice and snowy sidewalks?
Will you be an alpha, a leader, a parent and a protector? Will you take no bullshit from your dog, but still be proud of its accomplishments? Are you good with animals? Do you have a sense of how dogs think, do you have some idea of their psychology? Will you be able to tell people, kids, old ladies that "No, sorry, she's working. You can't pet her?" Or will you choose to get a sign for the harness?
Will you go places with your dog, or just sit inside for day after day while it gets bored and loses its training? Will you brush out its coat every few days? Will you learn when it's better to leave the dog behind, and whether or not the pup will be too scared? Will you puppy proof your house,and be firm with others who may say negative things about your dog? Can you handle it if someone accuses you of abuse when they see you correcting your dog? If a family member says you have to leave the dog behind, are you able to stand up for your partner, and can you make the decision that it might be better to let him stay home? If a place tells you you can't come in with the dog, how will you handle it?

For me, the bond with my girl has many threads. We're partners, getting from point A to point B as a team. I'm her parent, smacking her nose for trying to lick the restaurant floor and giving her a high collar correction for getting too excited over a dog. I'm her responsibility when we have to cross a busy street and I trust her to go straight. We're friends when I put half my body inside her crate and talk to her before bed. She's my pet when she's pawing me for pets and chasing after the ball. I'm sure many others will have tips and drawbacks to mention along with all these questions.

I thought I wanted a dog in college. I thought I was ready. But i held back because I knew I wasn't independent enough yet to go to the store and get all the things a dog would need. Outside of classes, I knew I wouldn't work a dog much. I knew I was still too selfish and stressed out to handle the big responsibility of a dog. It's a major decision.