Re: starting out with a guidedog.

Juuuuust pointing out for clarification that US guide dogs don't tell you when to cross the street. My street question for Brad was precisely because of that; can he read traffic patterns in order to know when to go? They will disobey a forward command if you're about to stroll out in front of a car, but it's not like they indicate when to start walking. Their job is to go forward in a vaguely straight line to the opposite curb when you say to.

Brad, your fear of dogs might pose an issue. I'm not a dog expert, and I'm not telling you not to get one, but this animal is your teammate. It's your child, your friend, your pet, and your companion all in one. It's not like a tool you can unharness and throw in a box. Dogs need love. They want your love. They want an alpha to be their master, and they want a human to pet them. You don't have to be obsessive mushy, but it's kind of an odd choice if you're not really an animal person. I have some suggestions.

* Are there therapy dogs around, like dogs who work in hospitals or in spam homes as calm companions? Could you call an organization about spending time with one?

* In the US, there are puppy raisers scattered all over. These are the people who raise the dogs from eight weeks to fifteen months and teach obedience to future service dogs. Could you arrange to spend time with a dog like that?

* Call the guide dog organization and discuss your fears and worries with them. They are the best authority to give you guidance here.

If you're afraid of the dog, it will pick up on your fear. Affection is a two way street. I know that when my dog got very sick a few weeks back, I was in tears as she repeatedly threw up on the rocks outside my house. It was like having a child and absolutely not knowing what's wrong.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Maybe others can offer more info about how they bond/interact with their dogs?