Re: just got a Iphone6 plus, cases and questions

Well do I expect a company to maintain backwards functionality? The honest answer is yes I do, either that or provide something that will continue performing the same functions at an increased level of efficiency. Xp might be a poor man's dosbox, but the fact is it works. In the same way, I don't expect Sony to maintain warrenty for a video recorder from 1995, however I do expect them to sell me a dvd player and a dvd/video converter.

Imagine microsoft sold an xp upgrade for modern windows which restored compatibility with Vb6, direct x, and 16 bit programs, and gave you the xp interface. This could finance itself, be popular and keep people who wanted to run their old programs on modern systems, and maintain the xp interface happy, and also because it was supported through microsoft wouldn't have all the hassle of running a virtual machine.

Look at the way virtual console emulation has taken off, indeed it's an extra source of income for people li ke Nintendo in providing access to older games on newer systems and a way for them to recoop the costs of maintaining the compatibility. Microsoft should do the same rather than just laying down the law without any alternative, and if this costs them extra money, well tough luck.
As I said this just smacks far too much of corporate imperialism, "we decide what we provide for our customers and then force you to buy it because there is no alternative"