Re: math in university

@camlorn: what's this mathtype accessibility thing that NVDA already supports? I didn't know that NVDA worked with math type.

I'm probably a little late to this thread, but I found learning latex fairly easy. I used InftyReader to perform OCR on math documents, saving the result as latex files. The Latex access project maintains a set of jaws scripts and NVDA add-ons that read latex out in a more understandable way, so \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi}(lnx e^x)dx is read as integral from pi over 2 to pi of lon x e to the x dx.

Having said that though, I was unfortunate enough to have to learn how to do math on the computer for the first time while also trying to remember all the math I learnt at high school while keeping up with taking a university introductory mathematics module. It was a terrible experience at first, because reading/writing math on the computer vs doing it in braille is very different.