Re: math in university

I don't like latex_access.  It sort of fell over really hard for me and fails to work in web browsers-it is amazing how many web sites you can find that put Tex in the alt texts, and if you set up a custom rule to block Mathjax you can get places like Stackoverflow to at least be readable, if not convenient.  I also don't like context switching: these representations require me to think both about the Tex and the English, and I find that that is harmful in the very long long run.  If you opt not to use the English representation, you can eventually think about your math as Tex, kind of like learning a second language.
As for NVDA, it's complicated and sad.  NVDA has done the work to use Mathplayer2014, an unreleased library that we have been promised for over a year at this point.  If Design Science will release it, it will allow NVDA to read math in Word docs, some PDF docs, and on any web site that is using MathML.  This is all p ublic knowledge-the code is in their git repository, and the timeline shows it.  The latest NVDA ticket about it, and the one most likely to be closed when it is fully available is here.
I am only expecting to see this in NVDA, currently: Jaws has an implementation of MathML, but it works only on web sites using Mathjax and only in IE last I looked.  I also have it on good authority that it falls down impressively hard post-algebra.  but we'll have to wait for releases before we can actually know about quality or lack thereof.  Actually implementing such software ourselves can be done if it is needed in the long run, but is surprisingly difficult-I tried, and it basically boils down to coding hundreds of special cases on a per-language basis (any programmers here know why that is horrible).  Which is why we don't have an open source one.