Re: Inspiration or Objectification

Theo wrote:

I never meant to imply that regulation is never effective, merely that there are definiteexamples where it has the opposit effect to what was intended.

When I said to be careful what you wish for, I merely meant to be werey of these unintended consequences. If an employer really doesn't want to hire a blind person, it could, with a fair degree of safety, fire the person for some official reason other than their blindness, and unless the employer blabs his mouth too much, there'd be no way the person could prove they were fired due to their blindness.

What you describe is actually the current situation, not some hypothetical future circumstance born out of some extra governmental intervention, indeed the sort of thing you describe as happening in Idaho with a subsidy to companies hiering disabled people is actually the sort of measure that should exist in more places.

As regards studdies and data, my actual point was not whether women were! discriminated against in economic terms because of requiring maternity leave (a fact I'm still not convinced on), but whether it would be right! for an employer to do so.

Personally as I said I disagree on the regulation of behaviour, sinse to be brutally honest no regulation is what we currently have and the state of affairs we have all mentioned as being bad in this topic, ergo, something needs to be done, and simply relying on the amorphus god of prophetability to vaguely equalize everyone in the future will not work, indeed it always amuses me that those who most tout the virtues of "free enterprise and competition" are those who bennifit from the system most, and utterly forget about everyone else.