Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Well as far as series go I've only just finished season 1 and not started on season 2, so I can't say specifically.

On the descriptive front This site has some very good transcripts which might be useful.

I initially never liked Buffy sinse on the few occasions I caught an episode, it always seemed really superficial and airhaead, not really a lot to it. I then however watched Firefly (which I loved!), and my brother pointed out to me that Buffy had some of the same characterization being also Joss Weaden.

what I'm finding thus far is a little odd. The world and vampires really don't do much for me in terms of exploring fantasy worlds, but I am just enjoying how witty the thing is. Buffy herself really isn't that interesting (neither is Angel), or at least not at this moment sinse she is just sort of generic main character, however the two supporting characters, Sander and Willow are great. I lo ve Sander's streight man act, it really reminds me of socca from last air bender (although Socca is considderably cleverer), and Willow is that rare thing a completely decent character.
Giles is also amusing in his bemused state, and for once it's nice to see an English character on an American series who isn't a walking sterriotype who sounds either like a reject from Dickensian london or a bloody second world war bloody fighter pilot old bloody bean!

I also appreciate the fact that unlike so much else featuring teenaged girls, the characters in Buffy are not held to be individually! special simply by virtue of being teenaged and females. It's a very annoying sexist attitude in society, that anyone with two x chromosomes between 13 and 20 can automatically do no wrong. Well not in Buffy, everyone is nicely a person.

I also like the fact that vampires are just plane brutal! street thugs who smack people around, and Buffy's response to this is to punch and kick them repeatedly with no finesse but considerable force, ---- take that Twilight!

Do I think Buffy is the best series in the universe? at this moment not exactly. Do i think the world is unique? Again no, not right now.

However unlike so much these days (including Doctor who), it's got dialogue that actually is interesting to here and genuine characters, not just a bunch of rehashed cliches.

I will say I don't know if there is a degree of visual element to the series. While I cannot follow the fast action sequences precisely beyond usually determining who is getting gnullered, I do see enough to see changes in environment and pace, which helps a lot, and sinse buffy's plots tend to move quickly and for all the good dialogue run around locations in the school a lot, I don't know if there is something missing if your always playing catch up.

Whether the series will either get better or worse I don't kno w, but we'll see.