Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Well saying "harry and women" brings up another serious problem I have with the series, sexism! People are getting murdered, ---- noooo! women are getting murdered! oooh the horror!
I'm not sure whether the view is Butcher's or Dresden's, but it irritates me either way.

Then there are the problems as I said with too many deus ex, with Harry's wining (which most of the time isn't justified and is just irritating), and the problem I have with a lot of urban fantasy which is that only a few bits of the world get serious fleshing out and attention, ---- it sort of irritated me that we'd have a great book with someone interesting like the Summer Court or the Black Denarius, and then have to sit through yet more warewolves or the white court or some random necromancers, the series really did suffer from the "one bit a book" syndrome. Hand in hand with this is the crazy way harry just keeps picking up random attributes until he's the half undead fae, demonically possessed angel powered magically warded spirit wizard from hell! Really, what happened to just being a wizard? :d.

On the other hand, I will say some of the world is really unique, and it has some fantastically great grey area characters who aren't exactly evil but up to their own thing  (the Black Denarius are awsome).

I also really like Michael, the sword wielding Ned flanders of doom! and Butters was a fun character (at least before he turned into bat man).

Actually is anyone normal in that series? big_smile.

Good fun certainly, and some of the climaxes definitely are great for absolutely surreal action overload syndrome, but I don't know when i'll fansy reading the series for a second time around.

Then again, at this point I'd say the same of Buffy (I haven't started season 2 yet as I got engrosed in other stuff like reading Ian M banks great scifi).