I'm thinking about getting a Windows Phone 8.1 device, your thoughts?

Hello.

So, I've done this with Android, and now I'm doing this. What do you guys think of me getting a Windows Phone 8.1 device? I mainly want to get one to try out narrator and Cortana. Do you guys think it would be OK if I went and got a locked ATT Nokia Lumia 635 off of Amazon for about $54? I'm not going to use this as a phone because I already have my iPhone 5s. I just want a Windows Phone device that supports narrator and Cortana. So, is this phone a good idea? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, since I think the $229 for my Nexus 7 was a little too much.
Aside from that, what do you all think of Windows Phone 8.1 accessibility and Cortana? I have to admit I'm excited to try this out. I know I've complained about Windows on here before, but I'm hoping this will be different and hopefully better.
I've heard podcasts about narrator in Windows phone and it seems to be somewhat usable.

Also, will this device receive free software updates? just like Android, i want to keep track of what is happening with Windows Phone development to see if anything with accessibility improves.

So, that's all from me.

Comments are welcome.