Re: Monthly Chat april 2015

Well, there have been a few things going on here, though not necessarily for the better. My parents may be going through a divorce, which is bad enough, and I'm starting to think about moving, being as I'm now eighteen, and already feel like I should be doing much more than I am right now. I just filled out an application for the college I plan to attend (I should've done this much sooner, as graduation is a bit less than two months away) and so if I'm going anywhere anytime soon it will probably be an apartment over there. I've become even more discouraged with high school, and don't think I'll be going to my graduation. I've accomplished essentially nothing in the past few years, and feel like I actually may have been a better and more intelligent person when I started high school than I am now. I don't feel right going to a ceremony that's supposed to symbolize the beginning of the transition from youth into a responsible, produ ctive adult, when I feel anything but, also I really don't feel like listening to all the popular, pretty, ambitious but shallow 4.0 students at the top of my class give their speeches about how they're so excited for the future, how they're just oh so happy and everyone else needs to be exactly as they are as well, that all you need is a passion, that you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it, yada, yada, yada. I seem to have only grown more directionless; from all the research I've done, it seems like a career in technology is a rat race, and I want to do something where I can actually help people and make a positive difference in peoples' lives. Hopefully I'll find whatever it is I want to do in college, but I'm not very optomistic, as high school has for the most part just been one discouragement after another.
On a more positive note, I've just found out that Symphony X will be touring in my state in October, and hope I 'll be able to see them; they're also going to release a new album sometime soon, which I'm very much looking forward to.
I've never been much into fantasy literature, it just never seems to catch my interest, and I'm not sure that will change anytime soon. I might try and give a Song of Ice and Fire another go in the future, but for now I'm pretty occupied when it comes to books. I'm about to start Paradise Lost, All the Light We Cannot See which is about a blind girl in World War II occupied France, and the Foundations trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I'm sure this will be interesting.
I finished We're Alive a while ago and liked it, though it's definitely not one of my favorites. For one, I'm just generally not a fan of those types of appocalypse stories, I.E. violence, constant non-stop fast-paced action usually involving a lot of gun sounds, rushed romances, gangs, brutal survivalism, insert monster/natural disaster here, so a lot of it's probably just me. That being said it was a nice story, and I like that the characters actually developed and had emotions. One of the things I disliked though was that there wasn't a whole lot of background for them; after listening to just a few episodes of Leviathan I knew a lot more about the lives of the major characters than you ever find out about most of them in WA. Also the ending was just sad, and felt almost totally hopeless. I'm anxiously awaiting new releases from Leviathan and Edict Zero, the latter of which should have a new episode out shortly. Speaking of the Leviathan Chronicles, there hasn't been an update for over five months now, has anyone heard anything. Also, what are some other good similar-quality audio dramas? I know there have been some topics about this in the past, but they're very long and I don't feel like looking through all of them.
One last thing, which I hope isn't too inappropriate for the topic being as it's a technology question. What are some good GPS apps for iOS/Android? I know about Blindsquare and Nearby Explorer, but they cost money, and there are a bunch of free ones out there such as the Sendero one, which I am wondering are any good. Any advice?
That's about all for me, hope everyone is doing well.