Re: Monthly Chat april 2015

@Wanderer, Sorry about your disilusion with school. I'd like to say your wrong but not quite. Personally i did have a great time at uni because people were decent and I was doing something amazingly interesting and getting involved with things that interested me, but that finished unfortunately.

It was the realistic characters in We're alive that made it. I agree with you on standard zombocalypse fiction, but there are some good examples and we're alive is one, Justin Cronin's passage series is another. Asimov is a good author for setting up puzzles and intreagues but I always find his characters very flat, (his female characters especially are a joke), indeed the foundation has some amazing ideas behind it but it is probably the most polite and lack luster fall of a galactic empire that you could imagine, he also falls into the trap that several hard sf writers do of assuming that a supreme interlect basically can solve every problem and become quite li terally a deus ex machina. I read the series a  couple of times as a teenager, but I primarily reread them because I didn't originally understand all the concepts involved when I first read them at the age of eleven, then I read them again three or four years later and got a better idea, though unfortunately found them a bit too clinical as I said.

Still, give them a try and see what you think.

Personally I don't distinguish between fantasy, sf, horror or whatever.

As to satnav aps, I use blind square myself which I paid for and have been happy with, I like the way it's so easy to tell where you are and what is around you, but I freely admit it isn't a subject I've made extensive study of.

As for me, I've just finished the aims music school. This weekend was supposed to be a couple of days of classes and auditions and a preparation for the mane school in summer. Unfortunately I had a god awful sore throat, an extention of the infection I've had for the last month which meant my singing was really not up to much, but it was fun to hear everyone else, albeit due to it now being in the center of London and some annoying transport issues involving underground stations and lack of access for guide dogs (guide dogs and escalators don't mix), it was a bit hechtic, indeed I ended up running out early and missing the concert due to the fact that we thought the trains were delayed, ---- which they weren't! bloody transport!

At least I can send an audition piece by recording when my throat is recovered which it will hopefully do soon.

But it was good to see everyone and listen to what other people were doing, and of course I picked up some good music to have a bash at as I always do.

Today I don't have any plans but recovering and listening to more of the Dorian grey audio series. It's not been bad, about an immortal man who lives through the 20th and late 19th cent uries, but I do wish the stories weren't so much short pastiches of his life often with horror or supernatural elements and they told something with a bit more go. It's also very odd to hear colin baker as a rather dim security guard in one story sinse I'm so used to him as the sixth doctor.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KG4RDF via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KG4RDF via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KG4RDF via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KG4RDF via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector