Re: any games on that subject please?

Actually Ishen there are some gamebooks with a very set map where you have to very much remember your directions and where your going, shards of moonlight on chronicles of arborell or Alabor's tomb on the ffproject for two.
I wouldn't say the point of browser games is 2to complete the story" indeed it's quite depressing how many browser games are just of the "fight and be the best" variety with click click combat and no story at all.

@Steve, it's not just shooters where you go in cardenal directions either, you do the same in any game with a grid based movement from tactical battle to airic the clerric, but to be honest if we listed every single game that had those directions we'd be here all day, heck, just the browser games that have them makes up a massive category.