Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

Hi jason.

While I know your still on the early phases, an idea did occur to me as regards dungeon map generation and modding, sinse obviously your on the generation phase at the moment.

You said in the earlier post that it would be possible to change the program generation of the dungeon by altering the lua scripting, ie, the game's back end code. However, as compared to adding new monsters, rooms, boss encounters, items, even abilities, I wonder how easy this is, sinse I know the coding for spacial generation is complex stuff.

so, to make people's live's easier, I was wondering if several basic map types could be introduced. Thus, if a person wanted to create a different environment to the circular dungeon, they just specify with a specific term, sinse in practical terms there aren't that many map types we would need.

i'd suggest 1: circle (the default).

2: dungeon grid (entombed 1 style full on grid with dead ends and o ccasional rooms).

3: town. A grid based map but with far more open passages and fewer dead ends and the entrance and exit points at the exact top and bottom middle.

4: Open wilderness, a completely open map with only a few walls, intended for  desert areas.

5:  Streight path, exactly what it says, a path with no side turnings and the entrance and exit at each end.

6: Side tracks, similar to the streight path, but with short alleys and rooms off it like the default circle, accept obviously differing in having a set start and end point.

With specifying a map like this and generation, there really isn't a limit on what people could create in environment terms, sinse all you'd need to do is change some of the sounds like the map, wall and ambient sounds, right in different monsters, encounters, treasures and descriptions and vuala.

If this isn't possible with the coding fare enough, however when I sat down and thought about it, there really isn't much in creating many different environments for a game even one like entombed. All you need is as I said changes of sfx and descriptions, and the ability to alter some basic properties, sinse even though the main entombed game is set in a dungeon, it sounds like we'll have everything needed to get it out of that dungeon and into other places fairly easily, namely descriptions, exits and entrances, and presumably shops and treasures. Indeed, the default circle map would be useful for a lot of environments on it's own, it just occurred to me that thinking about towns and planes and other places it might be good to have some extra options.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : airina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector