Re: Heat Engine, a game engine for BGT games

My bad, I made some mistakes with the rebuild script... sad the file path hasn't been correctly wirtten by the script and some other mistakes were done. I corrected that, here's the new file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsk1myaf3vs49 … d.bgt?dl=0
Replace the rebuild.bgt script by this one and run it.
The website download link has also been updated.

For controlers, the idea is quite simple : they are created, maybe they keep some informations, and they are called for each tick. They are very similar to actors. So, in a not so far future, they may be added in map files just like actors. Right now the problem is that you have to manually add controlers and configure the game before loading a map. I will try to insert all that in the map files.

Yes, actors are the most important thing of the game, they make everything. For your sidescroller you may use a modified version of the FPConroler, for two reasons : the first reason is that the controler is setting the listener on the player actor, and it's orientation is the same. So moving forward will make the camera moving forward too, but maybe you want you character to move left and right when you control it. The other problem is that the FPControler has been made to provide a WASD movement like in 3D FPS. But I can make you a SideControler which will follow the character from the side and let you moving him left or right (you will have to program the other movements tongue )

Controlers often needs a few parameters when they are created. The FPControler takes a string, which is the name of the actor it will be attached to. So, if you have an actor called player, and if you create a controler attached to the player actor, you have a controler which will control the "targeted actor" which is the player. This way, for a 2 player fighting game for example, you can create two controlers, controling two different actors, and it works very well.
When you have a controler attached to an actor, it will provide all the controls described for the controler when the game is running (game.run() ).

If controlers only move actors on the X/Z coordinates, you will get a 2D world. smile I think in BGT, X is left/right, Y is forward (depth) and Z upward. So, could you please give me a little more explanations? Maybe I'm doing a mistake between graphic sidescrollers and audio sidescrollers

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector