Re: A Modern Day Comparison of JAWS and NVDA

Hello, everyone,

I have a few comments about NVDA, then I'll ask some questions please:
1. One of the most odd and annoying things I found with the JAWS program is when I hit the windows log on screen in Windows 7 at school, I heard this:
Windows Logonreed. Reedpassword edit.
When I would type the shift key it said shift, if I pressed control it said control, etc. When I typed my password it worked, but the most annoying part about this is that when the computer asked me to hit alt+ctrl+del to unlock it, it didn't even read me that screen. That made me sad.
2. Eloquence: This is really small, but I don't like the Eloquence that ships with JAWS. In NVDA I use IBM's ViaVoice from 1999, a real old synthesizer, well for now I do, since it's over  13 years old and it was just a straight zip file I found awhile back.
Sure, the thing's got a few weird glitches like, well, it's got this weird crash where when you write the words part of on their own, it kind of crashes hard just like the famous eloquence crash words you all know and love.
Its speed control is weird but oh well. It sounds good and I've got my main languages all there under sapi4.
Funny thing? It doesn't crash on any modern eloquence crashes! smile
3. Windows OS: I have to be honest I really don't like the way JAWS makes you restart. I think that also the different things it needs on different windows is just weird. For example, windows vista, anything above JAWS 13 produced a Freedom Scientific mirror display driver error. sad
4. I feel like with all the settings areas in JAWS I just get so confused. There doesn't seem to be good documentation on all of the little things in the settings center window. In NVDA t he user guide is really, really helpful in explaining what I want to figure out.
5. Internet: JAWS, last time I saw it, with 14 or 15, had problems with Firefox where it would kind of either not tell me the page loaded, or it froze on a large page. NVDA works so well with Firefox.
6. Math content! NVDA's math content actually supports word and powerpoint, and you can read the stuff in braille! JAWS can't use braille displays for reading math content! sad sad I haven't tested it in NVDA but it looks really cool. (Hint: Run master snapshots and download Math Player 4 if you want to see this in action).
7. Feedback: If I have an NVDA question I email one of the people who helps with the project and they are very good about getting back to me and I always have less crashes with NVDA than JAWS.
8. Metro, or windows store apps: In windows 10 previews, NVDA is real good about supporting the apps that come with it like alarms and clock, I love that thing with NVDA. You have to learn object navigation,

Questions:
1. People who I talk to about college later on and getting a job later tell me that businesses choose JAWS because they feel that NVDA has security risks or something like that. Can you please provide some information this?
2. Other languages: I have the insert symbols add-on where I can insert some special symbols like a acute, but is there a more officient way to do this? It conflicts with one of the Skype conversation shortcut keys. Also it doesn't have the U acute.
I will post back if I have further comments.
And for those of you who love JAWS, that's awesome! smile And for those of you who like NVDA, that's r eally awesome as well! smile

Have a great day.

Thanks,

Brandon

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : chrisfaelnar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hhurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : flyby chow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : btman16 via Audiogames-reflector