Re: A Modern Day Comparison of JAWS and NVDA

Alright, here are my thoughts on this.

  As for jaws, I'm running 15, so maybe what I have to say regarding jaws could be considered invalid.
The reasons I like NVDA better than jaws are:
1. NVDA is light weight and portable. I can just grab a copy, load it to a USB drive, and pretty much run it on any computer with Windows I want to.
2. To obtain a fully functional copy of it, and that also means no demo restrictions, takes a maximum of four or five minutes, depending on how your computer feels like acting that day.
3. It hardly takes up any memory at all. It runs quickly, at least on my machines. Even though I don't like ESpeak much, there are plenty off equally portable, quick speech synthesizers out there for NVDA.
4. NVDA has only been developed for nine years, and useable for seven. But despite this, NV Access has implemented a lot, of features. And with three or four updates per year, users of it are always getting new features and bug fixes.
5. The mouse navigation, or I think it's called that anyway. It's whatever you're moving with NVDA+shift+arrow key on a laptop. That, in conjunction with left clicking, right clicking, and focusing the mouse has helped me a lot when encountering programs that were not accessible with the regular keyboard.
6. I find NVDA to work better when I code. Even though Jaws anounces line numbers, it's still a pain because it will sometimes skip the text of a line or speak a graphic after it.
7. When navigating folders, or browsing for files, or going through a list, I might here something like:
"Graphic 680 graphic 632 Documents"
Whereas with NVDA, I never have this issue.
8. I find that when opening word Pad on my computer with Jaws, Jaws crashes sometimes, and I have to restart it. This can be very, annoying.
9. It is possible to play games with NVDA without turning it off. This is not possible with JAWS.
I ssues I have with NVDA but not with jaws.
1. Sometimes, even if I'm just accessing a menu, NVDA will freeze for a second, and then go into this mode where I have to restart it because it speaks whatever text you tell it to, and you cannot stop it with the control key. Furthermore, NVDA key does not work.
  The good thing with this, however, is that when I press windows D and hit "nvda" to get to the shortcut, I can open the shortcut and NVDA restarts itself.
2. Jaws opens in a window. So if there happens to be an issue, you are usually able to scroll over to the window and close it, no matter if the Jaws key is working or not.
3. I find that Jaws doesn't have the same issue where it totally freezes up like NVDA does.

  Those are just my comparisons, how both affect my life, since I use each on basically a day to day basis. I didn't read the topic before posting this, so I'm sorry if I interrupted some other conversati on, but I just hit reply as soon as coming to the topic.