Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

@jsymes, all felines will have a cause sneezing attack! big_smile.

@Lukas,  actually the random environmental thing (though it certainly exists in many inaccessible rpgs that I happen to know something about the mechanics of), can be seen in two very good accessible games, Smugglers 5 (both Secession and invasion), and Kerkerkruip.

Smugglers 5 actually has the random special events occur every so often during battles, while Kerkerkruip has them in a dungeon environment, but they work the same way.

In terms of coding, part of the thought with these ideas is they add a lot of complexity without! extensive code reshuffling, though being as I don't know how the Entombed ii code works I could of course be wrong.

For example, if you have a poison effect already in the game it should be easy enough to set it to trigger in battles and affect all npcs and p layer characters, similarly, doing damage every round should just mean a matter of effectivey just attacking everyone in the round with a certain damage type and attack occasionally (and my understanding of random dice rolls don't tend to be hard to program).

Whether the random special encounters could be made specific to a floor or there would need to be one huge pool of them for the entire dungeon I don't know, but the basic idea shouldn't be a problem in theory albeit I might be %100 wrong.

Same goes for corruption, it's just a matter of tracking a value and having affects happen when that value hits a certain point, no different really to tracking character hp. Again, how random effects get and what happens when corruptions hit certain levels could be interesting programming wise, but basically having a value that increases until it goes boom shouldn't be too problematic, (indeed probably less so than conditions like slow or sleep).

I will admit with Angband i did get very lucky in finding the one roguelike which had both large graphic tyles that I could see and screen reader friendly output as well (I've tried several others but no dice), however the corruption idea is one I've heard of in lots of games, ---- heck quite a few of the choiceofgames titles use something similar, not to mention the hyper nasty erotic rpg Flexible survival. That one is! accessible if people want to give it a go (check the database however be sure to read the description), although i found it far too uncomfrotable to play personaly due to my genophobia.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tikki via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tikki via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jsymes via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tikki via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : johnnyto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : johnnyto via Audiogames-reflector