Re: Size of muds?

Dark - you have visited my realm, so you will have knowledge to agree or disagree with what I say here:

First of all, I usually only count my primary rooms in my total, and that is currently only a few rooms away from 1900 - I dont typically count virtual rooms, which is whats inside a puzzle house, a simple 8x8x8 for example is 512 rooms all by itself, and although you can walk it, and it does feel like 512 rooms, I dont normally count those types of spaces. Perhaps some MUDS rely a lot on areas, which are lots of movement with little in new descriptions, as my virtual room spaces are. I tend to count those places that each have a very unique description, sounds (day and night, and perhaps weather and other features (like sitting on an old log by the fire) and other such unique settings.
If I did count the virtual room count, I would be at 4100+ and I dont make use of a lot of such things.

I have always felt that a player should have many unique places to visit, without feeling like they were running and running, only to move 5 or 10 feet each time, and that each area and connector should really be a transition into something new, as repetition gets old. Some of this VR type of space to get somewhere can feel like being a hamster on a treadmill.

This is my take on this all, as I live in my MUD as much as any of my players do.