Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

You're right, the developer himself didn't put those ads there, and maybe he doesn't see a penny for them being shoved in his visitor's faces, but he did choose to use mediafire knowing full well those intrusive ads were there. I'd have found another way to share my file than to subject my visitors to such intrusive advertizing, such as dropbox or yousendit.

What happens after I click the link to download the file is, I hear the download start, but before I can access the notification of the download to have it continue, the pages with ads start popping up interrupting the download, yeah, the download was interrupted because when I get back to the original page with the download link, the notification of a started download is gone, and so is the download link. And that's if I even get a download link, half the time I get a page requiring that I fill out a survey before I can download the game.

The last attempt gave me this: http://wellnessandme.com/
The previous couple of attempts opened this page: http://prestigeladies.com/how-to-choose-makeup-brushes/
Before that I got: http://townhobbies.com/how-to-knit/
Before that there was a page of ads for some cooking site, I don't have the URL because it scrolled off the browsers history (Firefox has a really short history memory).

After many attempts, I finally was able to download the game. Where are the instructions? The readme was useless, on the reddit page was a link to a guide that sounded like instructions that turned out to be some user submitted tips. That might be useful later, but was useless now. I tried just diving in but couldn't figure out what, if anything I was doing since I was only guessing at what keys to press.

Can the music be turned down? It's so loud i t nearly completely drowns out the voice and other sound effect that might be there. As is, I found the game essentially unplayable.

In frustration I quit the game by the only way I could find to do it, I terminated the process with the task manager. Not a very good way to shut down an application but nothing else I could think of worked.

Between the ads and the total lack of any kind of playing instructions or at the very least, a list of the command keys. Plus the nearly unplayable state I found the game in, I'm very frustrated and ready to just give up. I have a hard time believing that any game is worth all this hassle.

As one person said earlier in this topic, the developers apparent lack of involvement with the game's user community leave one wondering how committed he is to finishing it, or will it just end up as yet another piece of unfinished abandonware? As difficult as it seems to get and play the game, I have to wonder the same thing.

Fi nally, after having to terminate the game because I couldn't figure out how to exit because of the lack of any instructions. I turned off the computer and took a long nap. When I came back, Windows suddenly restarted several times before finally loading. It booted up with no problems the previous session and the only thing I did then was to tinker with this game. I've had to terminate processes before and other than a very occasional loss of that program's data, never had any problems with it, though I still hate to exit an application that way. Worried that the game might have inadvertently done something to cause the unexpected restarts, I have since moved it to a sandbox, were any attempts to write to the system will be kept in the sandbox and not affect the host system. At this point I'm not sure how far to trust this program, so, better safe than sorry.

There is a new version out (0.74), I just tried half a dozen times to download it and was blocked by a survey or a CAPTCHA every time. I give up! This game is not worth the frustration and hassle of just downloading it. I do not believe this game belongs on a web site dedicated to accessible games for blind and visually impaired people because from my experience, just downloading the game does not pass any accessibility standards I'm aware of.

Sure you all don't seem to have any problems, or you are just ignoring them. But if just one complaining person is having accessibility problems, how many people who don't bother to complain are being turned away. Is ignoring the problem fair to them? To make my small voice heard, I will not patronize or support this developer in any way, nor will I recommend that anyone else patronize or support him until he abandons the very inaccessible mediafire site and finds an accessible alternative to share his game.

I'm gone!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : zseli via Audiogames-reflector