Tips and Tricks for KoDP

Hello!

I'm playing through King of Dragon Pass and I was wondering how other people approach the game. So far I'm still climbing the learning curve and my first run through has been less than savory lol.
One thing I was a bit confused about was the random event that required you to go places and it only gave you a vague direction. The one in particular I dealt with told me I had to go find some ancient kingdom to the northwest. Would I just explore randomly in that direction or is there a special map icon? I got a little confused.