Learning Programming, Where Shall I Begin?

Hello Everyone,

There is a topic here written by another person learning programming but I didn't want to hijack the thread. In any case, I have wanted to learn how to program so that I could create some games for quite some time now but never translated this desire into a reality. Not only do I think this would be a fun challenge, but I also think that it will keep me from developing dementia smile Seriously though, I am most interested in either making accessible variations of games I've heard about but am unable to play (Scribblenauts Remix), creating accessible versions of games I played with sighted assistance as a child (Oregon Trail, Hoyle's games with AI players that had personality), or trying to come up with titles of my own. I'm inspired most by Jim Kitchen's work (may he rest in peace), and Aprone's Lunimals, Paw Prints, and Castaways. I 9;m not too interested in the side scrollers or other games that make you find objects and shoot them. I've never been perceptive enough to aim in just the right place. I prefer text with sound and voices for ambiance, and a rich story that is heavily influenced by the player and random elements. I'm also a fan of strategy, simulation, card, and multiplayer board games.

My questions then are:

1. Is there a particular programming language that would be better suited to creating these types of games? If so, which one?

2. Are there any recommended tutorials, books, sites, etc to get started?

Any insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Tiffany Kim

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tjkim1121 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tjkim1121 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tjkim1121 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tjkim1121 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Alan via Audiogames-reflector