Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

@Wastelander, dynamic descriptions are something I'm awlays a huge! fan of, just for the atmosphere alone, so awesome job on that one.

As to reputation however, I wasn't thinking so much of global reputation as just the chance of rumours following you. I do accept that the wastes wouldn't have newspapers or the like, but obviously there are still travellers, and I'd be willing to bet all those merchants, slavers, nomads etc don't like a good chinwag about the places they've been to when they stop off at whatever dive in the nearest town for some R&R.

A good way to represent this might be to have a chance of events occurring in your current town which changed your standing with that town or faction based on your previous actions. For example, "A carter came into town today and talked about the blood massacre in "insert name of town player had a bad reputation with"
or "Rumours are spreading among the slaves a bout how good life in "insert name of town player has a good rep with" is"

The chance of these occurring could depend both upon how much impact you had on the last couple of towns you were in (sinse probably nobody would remember a random wanderer who just stopped for the night and moved on), and upon the danger level of the region ie, how hard it was to get to the town.

These would also make a difference with one thing which I'm going to be interested to see with the new towns and faction system, how exactly you balance having a game with a potentially infinite area and generation with staying in one place and having to return to that place to collect bounties, spend time in your house, fight against other factions et
I'm actually wondering how this will work, sinse I'd not like to lose some of the wandering aspects even if you were wandering on journeys to and from your town out into the wastes to scavenge gear, do quests, fig ht in wars etc, as opposed to having to stick in one town and region in order to have any affect, get reputation or buy and manage property, mercs, slaves etc.

btw, Tim Powers is awesome all around as an author and I'd recommend most of his books, however Dinner at Devients palace is as far as I know his only post appocalyptic or sf title, most of his books are about various crazier forms of magic usually set in historical times, but are equally good.

Devients Palace though is one of the best post apocalyptic I've read generally, sinse like The Wastes it's very colourful, fast pased, and not overly grim, or at least though it has a lot of grim subject matter it deals with it in a rather light hearted, flippent and quite fun way.

The devient's palace of the title is a very synister and almost cthulhu like night club, famous for it's mutated food and, ---- mmmm, entertainers.